Suicide is the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, yet the topics of suicide and mental illness are not often talked about. There is a myth that talking about suicide may plant the idea and increase the risk. However, the opposite is true. While difficult to discuss, talking about suicide mobilizes support, increases the likelihood of proper treatment and sheds the stigma.
Anyone can reach out and help a friend, family member or coworker who may be depressed or suicidal. Below is information on how to help, and services and resources that ACI Specialty Benefits’ EAP offers to help support suicide prevention in the workplace.
How to Help
- Talk about it.
- Encourage the use of resources:
- Talking to a friend or therapist
- Utilizing the EAP
- Calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255
- Calling 9-1-1 if there is a concern of imminent danger
- Become educated about suicide and mental illness.
ACI Services for Employees and their Families
- Management consultation/coaching
- Immediate clinical support for employees:
- Safety planning
- Connection to resources
Crisis Text Line
Text TALK to 741-741 to text with a trained crisis counselor from the Crisis Text Line for free, 24/7
Veterans Crisis Line
Send a text to 838255